Monday, January 01, 2007

2006 Update

Well, I can't believe how fast the time flies! Can you believe that it's already 2007?! Wow!

I'm now realising that this whole wedding planning thing is kinda interesting in the sense of variance. Like I could spend 3 hours/day from now on planning the wedding, or one third of the time, and POSSIBLY even end up with a similar result. How?

Well, let's take looking at photographers for example. So you need a photographer; you can go through lists online (or at a bridal show), pick out five of them, look at their portfolio's, price lists, availability, etc... interview them; then choose a photographer. Or, you can simply just go with one that a friend used, meet with them once, and then go for it. I'm sure Jeff and I will probably find a balance in between the two, but we'll see what happens.

Okay, so back to the updating portion of the entry, it's titled "2006 update" afterall. We've managed to announce our engagement to just about everyone now - even my cousins in Egypt and Kuwait know about Jeff & I getting married in June. My mom has also told the whole Egyptian community, and the last of the congratulatory emails trickled in today (well I might still possibly recieve some tomorrow, but hey, I think this is it). Our families have met (well most of them), it's hard with some of his living in another province. We've picked our wedding date (166 days to go - but who's counting?), and venue - so that's awesome! =) We've even figured out a florist (http://www.anikaartsandflowers.com/)!

It seems like Lavender ( a light bluish-purple for our male reader), will be the color, this is subject to the availability of the wedding dress though - my Mom wants me to wear a style that I absolutely don't like. So anyway, the plan is to order the dress soon.

Jeff and I have been thinking about a registry. And well there are pro's and con's to having one. The thing is, it's a good idea because then you don't end up with like 10 gnome lawn ornaments or something crazy like that. But the reality is... Jeff lives in a townhouse, and I also lived on my own in a 2 bedroom apartment. I also worked at Eatons - where I managed to get a bunch of stuff for a fraction of the cost! So together we have 3 microwaves, 4 sheet sets, 8+ towels, a slow cooker, 2 fondue sets, a fire extinguisher, placemats, blender, ... and you get the idea. The funny thing is that all my stuff is new - since I only lived in Chesterville for 8 months. So like the slow cooker was only used once, the blender 5 times, and well you get the idea. I guess the thing is, that we can use a nice set of dishes, nice glasses, and probably a few other minor things, but there's no way we can come up with enough stuff (that we need) for 150 guests. So should we really make a registry? (Will people get pissed off that there's nothing left to buy?)The things that we do need are a washer, dryer, couch, television, bed suite (apparently I need to leave my childhood bed, might table, and dresser behind), curtains, lawn equipment (not that we'll have much lawn), and a honeymoon. One good thing about the registries though, is that apparently most stores have a buy out plan. So if there's something on your registry that you didn't get, you can buy it for yourself and they'll cut you an extra 10-15% or something so you can finish off the plate sets and stuff. Hmm - I wonder if they'd give an extra discount for the washing machine too. Hmm - so it might be worth getting a registry after all. The whole concept of a wedding registry is kinda weird though too - I guess that everyone does it, and that people like buying wedding gifts - so why not get something the couple picked out? =S If you have any cool home decor mags lying around - pass them along my way. ;)

I guess there isn't really that much more to update. And looking for favors is a lot of fun, so I probably will never update that - since I like to keep checking them out. =)

Well I hope that 2007 is the best year ever!

Cheers,
Nora

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you and mom don't exactly agree on the dress. Will there be compromising or will you go with her suggested dress?

I think at the dress shop you were leaning slightly toward the blue-y colour over lavendar [perhaps because Jeff prefers it too?]--did mom have a preference for lavendar? Or was it your preference that determined it? :)

The great thing is like you said, you can spend hours over things or just pick based on either other people's past experiences, or by going with whoever you find who first meets your requirements. I think with weddings or any events that require a lot of planning, having fewer choices is better than trying to consider every possibility [or a lot of them!].

Now that your engagement is announced in the Egyptian community and among friends and other family, I'm sure the ball will roll just a tad faster as the month of June approaches. Good luck to you and Jeff with that and as a bridesmaid I shall do my best to help out where I can [and I won't mind having lots of notice to know when I'm needed ;)]!

All the best.

January 02, 2007  
Blogger Smilin Tweety said...

Thanks Jumoke!

Yeah I think that the color suits the dress a lot better, so I'm ending up going with that. And the gals look great in both - so that good too =)

As for the wedding, there are 163 days to go. They're going by quickly, but I can't wait to get that 1 in front out of the way =)

Thanks for your help so far!

Nora

January 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nora,
For the registry, you can never have enough towels. Also how about registering bedding ie duvet, sheets,.
Also glasses break so maybe register a set of glasses and dinnerware.
I find that's one item people never have enough of, particularly with guests.
I went to a wedding where they registered daily items like cleaner and the little things as they tend to add up too. These are just some ideas.
It sounds like you are well on your way. I would like to have our dresses ordered ASAP but i also believe you said that was next on your list. But as i am talking on the phone you are about to do that now.

Allison

January 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could also register several different stuff at different places. I don't know if MEC has a registry but if you wanted to updated camping gear or something that would be great (one of our best gifts was an MEC gift certificate ;)

If you have big ticket items somethimes friends or family do go intogether or may decide that money might be the best gift - so you have to let them know.

Keep up the good work!

Lyn

January 12, 2007  
Blogger Smilin Tweety said...

Oh yeah! Camping stuff is great! =)

I think Jeff and I will probably end up making a registry at a couple of places, and have a mix of stuff. My friends got e a cool bamping stove a couple of years ago, and it's awesome! There's this cool Roots tent I really liked at the Price Club, but styles and models change a lot so I guess we'd have to wait until March break to get into the summer patio and camping stuff. It'd be really cool to be able to have a universal registry, like one list for stuff from every store. hmm maybe making an online one like that would abe a good idea - but maybe too time consuming.

They say to put more stuff on the registry than you'd think, so that people actually get more selection - even the last minuters. So Jeff and I are working on that now. But the thing about it is, that say I want towels - and they are onsale this week for 40%. Instead of buying them, I'd scan them in for the registry, and then just hope that whoever decides to by them, mangages to come in while the sale is on, they'd end up paying regular price, for an item I could have just gotten on sale. So Jeff and I will try to get our registry done in the next couple of weeks so that people can catch the deals. =)

Anyway, back to the DJ hunt (although I have a couple of names now) =)

January 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home